Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mosy Ship Students Don't Drink and Drive

So I don't know what to think about all the flyers that have been up around campus that say "Most Shippensburg Students Don't Drink and Drive". I think it is a really good idea creating awareness of drinking and driving and trying to prevent it, but at the bottom, they also put 75% of students say they don't drink and drive. This is quite different than "have you ever drank and driven a vehicle". It implies the 25% of our campus population has no problem with drinking and driving.
And where did they get these statistics and how many students were interviewed? I know I wasn't...
Lets do the math:
///Shippensburg Undergraduate Students = 6,621 (byw, I am excluding Graduate Students, although, they should be the focus of D.U.I. because pretty much all of them are over 21yrs of age opposed to Undergraduates who are probably (7/20 or 30%) over 21.... although anyone can drink and drive.

25% of 6,621 students = 1,656 who drink and drive (excluding Graduates and Townspeople)
For a town this small... I think this is a large number! and it's a little scary! Does anyone have an opinion or agree?
Ps. So I've noticed I've been really into states and figures lately. Probably because we've been going over them in my math and Research Methods classes, but it's weird. It's not that exciting, but I enjoy it.
For example...

I added a self updating graph of distances/average mph of all my outdoor bike rides to my cycling log. (the totals of the weeks rides are also included... no, I don't go out for a 70mile ride weekly) This is for a week of September and all of October so far...

No comments: