Sunday, April 19, 2009

Paris-Roubaix, how about that....

So I realized I never replied to the Paris-Roubaix prediction post. I did indeed watch the full 2hr live coverage on VS Easter Sunday, and the last 45-60mins was worth it. I would have liked to have seen Hushovd, Boonen, and Hincapie duel it out in the end... even Hushovd and Boonen, but those cobblestones are wicked, and merciless. I don't quite know why Thor wiped out so bad coming into that turn with Tom Boonen and couldn't catch back up, but props to Tom Boonen for sticking it out the last few Km's to hold the lead. What a guy. I didn't predict that one.

Poor Hincapie, I think that if he wanted to pull off a win, it had to have to be this year. When he got that flat and tried to bridge the gap to the leaders, NO ONE would help him at all. He led the peleton and tried to pick up the pace for miles, with no success. Quickstep and Cervelo Test Team weren't going to help him, that's for sure. He said in a post race interview that he can't end it like this, and that he'll have to be back again next year to try again, but that's going to be tough. The man's getting a bit older (don't hate me for saying that all you "getting older" people who may stumble across this blog)

Good race, I enjoyed it. I still don't know how their bodies survived 5+ hours on the bike, mostly on muddy, rocky, bumpy cobblestones. Amen to everyone who even finished.
Now for some Boonen:

No comments: