Monday, April 27, 2009

Summer Adventure???

I'm taking a break from studying to share a summer adventure I hope I get the chance to plan and do... make a weekend trip down to the: Mammoth Cave National Park

So, I've been there before, as a small child (5th-6th Grade) but the grandness and awesomeness (for lack of a better word) seemed to be lost that young. It rough when your parents say you are going to see caves in Kentucky when all your friends are telling you stories of Disney World and Downey Park. Anyways.... when your parents and grandma are somewhat members of / part of the Central PA Rock and Mineral Club, they tend to like trips like that. (yes, we have a room in the basement full of rocks. yes, I have my own rock, shell, and fossil collection. Yes, my grandma has an even bigger bedroom in her house full of rocks and hundreds of these!. Yes... don't hate).

Tangent alert...back to caves. I think it would be an awesome outdoor adventure. Drive down, camp, hike/bike the trails, and take cave tours. Downfalls.... 10hr drive and $$$.

I would like to take the Wild Cave Tour. Duration: 6 to 6½ hours. Caving Distance: 5½ miles.

Physical Challenges: Free-climbing cave walls; lengthy crawls through areas as
tight as 9 inches high; walking in a crouched position; hand and knee crawls
over jagged rocks and dirt; crawling through wet areas; twisting into and out of
tight crawlway openings.

Sounds like a blast to me.... and did you know...

Mammoth Cave is the world's longest known cave. In fact it is so long that if the second and third longest caves in the world were joined together, Mammoth Cave would still be the planet's longest cave and have nearly 100 miles left over!

No comments: