Sunday, January 17, 2010

7.0

wow... just found this today and it is crazy to think about.

Here is a link with images (pre and post earthquake) of The Haiti National Palace, or Presidential Palace, in Port-au-Prince.

To put it into perspective, here is a google map of where the earthquake epicenter was in relation to the capital.

(This is an addition to the Original Post: I learned in GIS class today that Google has been very generous with their satelite imaging and Google and other Geographical Agencies have been publicly distributing very good high resolution imaging of this area of Haiti since the quakes... don't believe me... zoom in as far as you can go... yea... amazing...)


View Larger Map

Did more useless but interesting research... the island itself (in terms of land area) has roughly the same land area as Maine. Haiti & Dominican Republic = 32,456 mi squared, Maine = 30,862 miles squared. The island shape related to size though, is more like Indiana.

What's crazier... a good and dear friend of mine was headed to the Dominican Republic on the 10th. The 7.0 in Haiti was the 12th. I have no idea where she was going to in the Dominican Republic in relation to Haiti and I have no idea how long she stayed, and her facebook has no new recent activity since last Saturday. I'm 100% sure she's ok, I'm just wondering how crazy it must have been being on the same island with all that going on next door.

Check out these images from CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/13/haiti.earthquake/index.html

I can't even imagine...

2 comments:

Jenny said...

The only thing that makes me so freaking pissed off is that, although yes, it IS a tragedy and yes, we SHOULD do whatever we can do do to help, I have a lot of problems giving money to a country that will continue to support an overwhelming amount of decadence and stupidity. If Haiti is going to continue being extremely Catholic, refuse birth control and allow the endless spread of HIV to thousands of helpless women and children because of its male dominated society, I CANNOT be supportive of THAT. There needs to be a change so that people lives are saved. It's disgusting and it breaks my heart. They are so male dominated that women have absolutely no rights...ughhh. I hate it.

Cody said...

well, I was looking at it from a geographer/humanitarian angle. Honeltly, I wish I had the courage/determination/training to travel down there and help just for a week. If I were a RN and could take a week off, I would definitely consider going down and helping in a UN hospital or something. Or if I had military training I would have helped search & rescue. It's ok to unsupportive of the Aids thing, but this is a little different. I don't know about giving money when we have accumulated such a large debt... i would rather see man power.