Sunday, January 3, 2010

back to the abyss

I am under the assumption that this was created by the devil, el diablo, himself.

Yesterday and Today have been EXTREMELY windy and cold.  COLD!  And where have I worked... you guessed it, Sweet Lights!  My face is red and dry and burned, I feel like crap, and I have had a headache since last night.  I am thankful for the work hours, but it figures it would be in this soul sucking death trap called Sweet Lights.  You pay $20 to drive around and look at light displays.  Shoot me now.

WHY am I so upset?... let's explain:

Security mans 4 checkpoints.  The job consists of directing traffic in the blistering cold (when cones are already set up for moron drivers) OR sitting in a booth counting cars or giving directions.  People, if the sign says "road closed" and there is one lonely security guard sitting in a dark booth, IT ISN'T THE ENTRANCE!!!  FIND IT YOURSELF!!!

Anyways, let's do some math...  if I work 7 hrs, I make $50 after taxes.  It costs cars $20 to go through.  There are minimum 5 guards working a night (most making less than me).  If 3 cars go though, the company makes up my wages.  If 13 cars go through, it makes up all the wages for all the security guards.  I've seen nights where at least 1,200 cars, buses, and trucks have gone through.  Wrap your mind around that cash....

Charging $20, 3 cars make up my wages... either it is overpriced (yes) or I am not getting paid enough (yes).

Enough about the overpricing,  let's look at the stupid lights themselves.  This field of twinkling lights is a HUGE waste of our natural resources.  You've seen this ad, "turn your lights off at 7pm and save X amount of energy...".  The country right now is ALL about going green and saving energy.  So, let's pay $20 to go see lights that are SUCKING UP ENERGY!!! It's a WASTE!!!  Also, you drive through it.  It takes at least 30 mins if there is no backed up traffic.  Waste of gas as well if you ask me.

Wait now, don't cry hypocrite just yet.  Yes, my house in SHIP has a Christmas tree with lights and the house has 5 strands on it.  BUT, we leave our 5 strands on a lot less than Hershey. Hershey runs miles and miles of large bulb Christmas lights on for at least 6-7 hrs every night in December and three days in January.  It's a little different.

Point being after all this.  Sweet lights:
1. sucks to work at
2. is overpriced
3. is a waste of gas
4. is a waste of natural resources
5. was created by the devil

If you reply proclaiming you "love sweet lights" and "have made an exodus to sweet lights every year with your family" ... I will probably think less of you, and make fun of you.  Have a nice night, I'm getting ready to go work.... oh yea... at Sweet Lights.... sigh.

Tomorrow I am getting paid to tear them down... best. day. ever.

No comments: