Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Things that make me smile on the inside...

First off, I found THIS extremely entertaining... (especially the picture with his joyful grin and arrows).

Next, someone really made me smile in the Rec. Center the Monday. I rode one of the stationary bikes, even though I hate them and the awkward position they force you into while riding. I am 6'3" ish. I jacked the seat post up pretty high (to position #11) and tightened the toe straps because I was planning on going pretty hard. After I was done, I hopped on a treadmill behind the bike to stretch out the legs quick.

Then he (I'm going to just assume it was a freshman) walked up to the bike. He was about 5' 2" and very awkward and was looking around nervously. While I was running, he tried to get on the bike that had just been set up for me. Yikes. This poor guy couldn't even reach the pedals and could barely get up on the bike. I wanted to just yell "lower the seat" but I was enjoying watching him too much and figured he would eventually figure it out. This poor fellow awkwardly stood and pedaled on the bike for a few seconds, almost fell off, then just got up and left. I felt bad for a little while. Guess I had a bad case of Schadenfreude :)

Next, it really makes me smile when I see students riding awkwardly small bmx or mountain bikes around campus as a commuter bike. I'm talking about the $80 Next bike at Walmart or the $120 Huffy at K-Mart. LOOK, even the guy on the opening page looks too large for the bike!!!

These bikes are "one size fit's most" but in reality, it doesn't fit the "majority". I chuckle when I see a 6' 5" football player riding an extremely small cheap mountain bike around campus. I applaud the fact that he didn't drive and is using a bicycle as transportation.... but it inevitably makes me smile on the inside. In addition, BMX bikes are good for bmx'ing or whatever it's called. They are not for the 1.5 mile trek around town or to campus. They have the most hideous geometry for long distance riding!!! AND the smallest gear ratio!!! AND like 22" wheels!!!! I would NEVER want to ride that more than 200 yards.

Get a Raleigh Mojave for like $350-400 bucks. Even get a Mongoose or Diamondback commuter or cross rig for $200-300!!! It will be worth it, because you can get YOUR SIZE!!!

or they could build up a nifty single speed rig :) (complete with Pokemon cards like mine!)

You people get me through my day. You all make me smile on the inside.

Although, from browsing Walmart's website, I am tempted to buy one of THESE to hook up to the indoor trainter this winter and put 700x30-32c nobby tires on for the snow.

No comments: